Tuesday, May 01, 2018: 11:15 AM - 12:00 PM
The creative industry landscape is crowded and competitive. In order to succeed, you must have the right market position, get past the gatekeepers, show off the right work and set yourself apart from the competition. Creating the perfect portfolio will make the difference between landing that great new opportunity or continuing a tight-budget life, eating Top Ramen in your mother’s basement.
Attendees will learn how to…
- Position themselves in their market (and de-position their competition).
- Write a proper messaging statement for their services.
- Choose the right portfolio samples and display them the best way.
- Post their work online in all the right places.
- Attract and communicate properly with potential employers or clients when presenting their work.
Michael Janda is an award-winning leader in the design industry and author of Burn Your Portfolio: Stuff they don’t teach you in design school, but should (New Riders, 2013). He served as a Senior Creative Director at Fox Studios before building and selling his own agency, Riser, where he led his company through 1,653 projects for clients including Disney, Google, NBC, ABC, Warner Bros. and more. He currently operates as a partner and Chief Creative Officer at EKR. Throughout a career that spans more than 20 years, Michael has reviewed thousands of portfolios and interviewed hundreds of designers, witnessing first-hand the good, bad and ugly of creative presentation. He will teach you the tips and tricks to creating the perfect portfolio to help you succeed in your design career.